Categories of complaint
1. Complaints against the organisation
ADSHE is an organisation run on a voluntary basis by SpLD specialists working in higher education who are elected onto its executive committee. We welcome any constructive criticism and will endeavour to respond in a timely way. If however, you feel that you have a cause for complaint, or you feel that the organisation can be improved in any way, please contact us.
2. Complaints from individual members of ADSHE against another individual member/s of ADSHE
If you have reason to complain about the conduct of another individual member of ADSHE, or a member of the executive committee or representative, and you are unable to resolve the issue with the member concerned, please contact the Chair of ADSHE with details of your grievance in writing. Your grievance will be addressed in the first instance by the Chair and deputy chair/s. This may be referred to the wider executive body but will be treated in confidence.
3. External complaints against an individual member of ADSHE
If you have reason to complain about the conduct of an individual member, please contact the Chair of ADSHE with details of your grievance in writing in the first instance. Your grievance will be addressed by the Chair and deputy chair/s. You may be asked to provide more details and invited to attend a meeting. The complainee will be invited to make a written response to your complaint. The evidence will be duly considered and an outcome will be decided and notified to you in writing.
There are four stages to the ADSHE Complaints Procedure
If possible it is always preferable if complaints can be dealt with informally, in person, by telephone or email. However, we recognise that some complaints need to be lodged in a more formal manner.
If you feel that your complaint has not been addressed appropriately through informal channels, please contact the Chair of ADSHE. You can send details of your complaint in writing to the Chair of ADSHE who will respond in writing within 21 days (during academic term-time).
If the complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, the Chair of ADSHE will refer it to an Internal Complaints Panel (ICP). This will consist of the Chair of ADSHE, deputy Chair/s and one other member of the executive committee. You will be notified of the date of this meeting. Any supplementary evidence would need to be lodged 1 week prior to this meeting date if it is to be considered.
- You will receive a written response to your complaint within 21 days of the date of the panel meeting if a majority decision has been reached.
- If no majority decision is reached, then the complaint will be referred to the entire Executive Committee at its next meeting.
- If you are not satisfied with the ICP’s decision, you may appeal against the decision within 21 days.
- Your appeal will be heard at the Executive Committee at its next meeting.
- If the complaint is not resolved at Stage Three, it will be referred to an external moderator within 21 days of ADSHE receiving your written statement requesting your case to be referred externally. You will receive the moderator’s written report within 21 days from the time they receive all case notes concerning the complaint.
- The external moderator’s decision will be final.