ADSHE QA Tutors work with students on a 1:1 basis developing academic abilities such as academic research, reading and writing, organisation, exam preparation, memory techniques and time management. Specialist 1:1 Tutors deliver academic literacy support including transferring thoughts and ideas to an appropriate academic format.
We promote independent learning as well as empowering students to manage their workload. Specialist 1:1 support is not subject specific tuition. However, ADSHE QA Tutors work with a student using course specific materials as a context for developing academic literacy.
You should expect:
- your 1:1 sessions to be with an appropriately qualified specialist who is a QA member of one of the recognised professional bodies e.g. ADSHE. You may ask to see your specialist tutor’s membership certificate.
- to have your sessions in a private, confidential space. Confidentiality and privacy must be respected with due account taken of relevant legislation.
- your personal information to be safeguarded and not shared without your permission, except where there is reasonable belief that you might be at risk of harming yourself or others.
- to be able to access your 1:1 sessions remotely: e.g. via Skype, if necessary
- to be treated with equity and dignity in a respectful fashion in relation to individual differences including: age, gender, sexuality, religion, culture and ethnicity, health and disability.
- to receive student-centred support which is sensitive to your individual study needs and academic priorities.
- to have sessions focussed on developing your academic skills and confidence.
- to know the date, time and focus of your next session, as appropriate.
- to have tutorials delivered on time and, where possible, 24-hours’ cancellation notice given. If your tutor needs to cancel your session, they should endeavour to rearrange this for you, where possible.
- a response to emails and phone messages within a reasonable timeframe, as agreed with your QA Tutor.
- to be able to give feedback on the support you receive.
- to be able to ask for a change of tutor, where possible.
- to have your sessions guided by ADSHE’s 7 Principles®.
You are expected to:
- arrive on time for appointments and, where possible, give 24-hours notice of cancellation.
- take responsibility for re-arranging any missed sessions or sessions that you cancel.
- take an active part in your 1:1 sessions.
- to treat your ADSHE QA 1:1 Tutor with dignity and respect.
You can download the Student Charter in an adaptable format by clicking the button below:
Please note: 7-Principles® is a Registered Trademark of ADSHE Ltd