ADSHE Quality Assured (QA) Tutors work with students on a 1:1 basis, developing academic abilities such as: academic research, reading and writing, organisation, exam preparation, memory techniques and time management.
You should expect:
- your 1:1 sessions to be with an appropriately qualified specialist who is a QA member of one of the recognised professional bodies e.g. ADSHE. You may ask to see your specialist tutor’s membership certificate.
- to have your sessions in a private, confidential space. Confidentiality and privacy must be respected with due account taken of relevant legislation.
- your personal information to be safeguarded and not shared without your permission, except where there is reasonable belief that you might be at risk of harming yourself or others.
- to be able to access your 1:1 sessions remotely: e.g. via Zoom, or face-to-face
- to be treated with equity and dignity in a respectful fashion in relation to individual differences including: age, gender, sexuality, religion, culture and ethnicity, health and disability.
- to receive student-centred support which is sensitive to your individual study needs and academic priorities.
- to have sessions focussed on developing your academic skills and confidence.
- to know the date, time and focus of your next session, as appropriate.
- to have tutorials delivered on time and, where possible, 24-hours cancellation notice given. If your tutor needs to cancel your session, they should endeavour to rearrange this for you, where possible.
- a response to emails and phone messages within a reasonable timeframe, as agreed with your QA Tutor.
- to be able to give feedback on the support you receive.
- to be able to ask for a change of tutor, where possible.
- to have your sessions guided by ADSHE’s 7 Principles® https://adshe.org.uk/adshe-7-principles/
You are expected to:
- arrive on time for appointments and, where possible, give 24-hours’ notice of cancellation.
- take responsibility for re-arranging any missed sessions or sessions that you cancel.
- have a reliable internet connection in a confidential space for your remote sessions.
- take an active part in your 1:1 sessions.
- to treat your ADSHE QA 1:1 Tutor with dignity and respect.
A fundamental principle of supporting the learning of students with Specific Learning Differences (such as: dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD) in higher education (HE) is understanding the multi-layered challenges of an individual’s diversity and difference (intersectionality) while engaging with the neuro-typical learning environment. Specialist 1:1 Tutors deliver academic literacy support, including transferring thoughts and ideas to an appropriate academic format, both remotely and face-to-face.
We promote independent learning as well as empowering students to manage their workload. Specialist 1:1 support is not subject specific tuition. However, ADSHE QA Tutors work with a student using course specific materials as a context for developing academic literacy.
Please note: We understand the term /intersectionality/ to include but not be restricted to race, gender, sexuality, socio-economic class, disability, religion. 7-Principles® is a Registered Trademark of ADSHE Ltd
Please note: 7-Principles® is a Registered Trademark of ADSHE Ltd